You will need
- Large mixing bowl
- Balloon whisk
- Large frying pan
- Measuring spoons
- Fish slice
- Serving plate
- To make the batter, crack the egg into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, milk and a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Whisk everything together until you have a lovely, smooth batter.
- Fold through the blueberries (if using).
- Put a large frying pan on a medium heat and after a minute or so, add 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil.
- Carefully tilt the pan to spread the oil out evenly.
- Add a few ladles of batter to the pan, leaving enough space between each one so they have room to spread out slightly – each ladleful will make one pancake, and you’ll need to cook them in batches.
- Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes, or until little bubbles appear on the surface and the bases are golden, then use a fish slice to carefully flip them over.
- When the pancakes are golden on both sides, use a fish slice to transfer the pancakes to a plate.
- Repeat steps 7 to 9 with the remaining batter, adding 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches, if needed.
- Serve the pancakes straight away, topped with a dollop of natural yoghurt, and some extra berries, if you like.
|Sat fat (g)||1.4|
Jamie’s top tip
“By using self-raising flour, the pancakes will be more American in style, lovely and fluffy and thick. Plain flour will give you thinner ones, more like European crêpes.”
All of Jamie’s Food Revolution Day recipes have been written with nutrition in mind. While some recipes are more indulgent and should only be eaten occasionally as part of a balanced diet, the majority are kept in check for calories, saturated fat and salt, to help you prepare quick, nutritious meals with fresh ingredients.